[arch-general] /var/run should not be contained in the package file list.

Christian Stadegaart e-mail at bewust-leven.nl
Tue Feb 28 12:01:29 EST 2012

Op 23-02-12 23:45, Tom Gundersen schreef:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Damjan<gdamjan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> g:
>>>   * /var/run is a symlink (created on boot) to /run. This should be
>>> changed in the future so the symlink is shipped with the filesystem
>>> package, but we have not figured out the transtion yet.
>> How would that work with systemd where /run is bind mounted on /var/run
>> (so it requires a /var/run directory) ?
> That's not a problem.
>
> systemd checks if /var/run is a symlink, and if so leaves it alone
> (this is the preferred way of doing it).
>
> Only if /var/run is a directory, it will by bind-mounted, giving more
> or less the same result as the symlink.
>
> Deleting /var/run and replacing it with a symlink is a bit of a
> hassle, so even if you are using systemd it might be worth-while to
> reboot once with initscripts so this will be done for you.
>
> -t

<This message may be double in the list, but I'm not sure if my previous
copy was sent correctly>

Hi,

I'm running systemd.

What exactly is bind-mounted? Current mount information shows:

/run on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)

I presume this is a bind-mount? So what you're saying is that I should
boot with SysV once to convert it into a symlink?

Thanks,

Christian.