[arch-general] Ways to power on broadcom bcm4311 wireless adaptor without booting into windows

Jayesh Badwaik jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 06:07:22 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Moncef Baazet <mob.ajm at gmail.com> wrote:
> At Wed, 22 Feb 2012 23:35:26 +0800,
> mercator wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> After switching from Linux Mint to Archlinux, my wireless card refused to
>> show up in lspci. It DOES worked fine under Linux Mint, but .... Below is
>> my output of 'lspci -vnn |grep Broadcom' :
>>
>> 10:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit
>> Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
>>

>> My laptop is hp 6515b, with a touch panel for the toggle of wifi on/off
>> etc. After a search in google I found the problem may be that the power of
>> wifi has been shut down, and solution is to boot into windows and turn wifi
>> on, because the touch panel will not work under Linux (as far as I know),
>>
> n> And the I found a software named rfkill, hoping it will work. 'rfkill list'
>> out put as follows :
>>
>> 0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
>>         Soft blocked: yes
>>         Hard blocked: yes
>>
>> After 'rfkill unblock all', I get:
>>
>> 0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
>>         Soft blocked: no
>>         Hard blocked: yes
>>
>> And still no wireless card detected. So my question is, is there any way to
>> power the wifi on without booting into windows? (in fact, windows has
>> diappeared from my laptop for 3 years, and there is no partition on my
>> harddisk supporting windows install).
> Hi,
> I don't know if this is gonna help, but when I first installed Arch
> I had the same problem. What solved it was bringing my wireless
> interface up manually after activating the wifi switch.
>
> So check out your `ifconfig` output. If you don't see your wireless
> interface bring it up. `ifconfig wlan0 up`, or whatever your wireless
> interface name is.

Hi,

Is not ifconfig deprecated now? It is probably not present on the
OP's pc. There should be an equivalent command in the replacement.
You would probably have to use the following command. I am not sure
about the correctness, so please refer to the link.

ip link set wlan0 up

More information can be found at http://linux.die.net/man/8/ip