[arch-general] Ways to power on broadcom bcm4311 wireless adaptor without booting into windows

Moncef Baazet mob.ajm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 04:07:04 EST 2012

At Wed, 22 Feb 2012 23:35:26 +0800,
mercator wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> After switching from Linux Mint to Archlinux, my wireless card refused to
> show up in lspci. It DOES worked fine under Linux Mint, but .... Below is
> my output of 'lspci -vnn |grep Broadcom' :
>
> 10:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit
> Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
>

> My laptop is hp 6515b, with a touch panel for the toggle of wifi on/off
> etc. After a search in google I found the problem may be that the power of
> wifi has been shut down, and solution is to boot into windows and turn wifi
> on, because the touch panel will not work under Linux (as far as I know),

n> And the I found a software named rfkill, hoping it will work. 'rfkill list'
> out put as follows :
>
> 0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
>         Soft blocked: yes
>         Hard blocked: yes
>
> After 'rfkill unblock all', I get:
>
> 0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
>         Soft blocked: no
>         Hard blocked: yes
>
> And still no wireless card detected. So my question is, is there any way to
> power the wifi on without booting into windows? (in fact, windows has
> diappeared from my laptop for 3 years, and there is no partition on my
> harddisk supporting windows install).
Hi,
I don't know if this is gonna help, but when I first installed Arch
I had the same problem. What solved it was bringing my wireless
interface up manually after activating the wifi switch.

So check out your `ifconfig` output. If you don't see your wireless
interface bring it up. `ifconfig wlan0 up`, or whatever your wireless
interface name is.