[arch-general] Ways to power on broadcom bcm4311 wireless adaptor without booting into windows

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Feb 25 14:04:16 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 14:18 +0000, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > Wi-Fi seems to be an issue with Linux, I'm uncertain to install a
> > Windows, I already hate to run it with VirtualBox.
>
> Seems you have had bad luck. Most wifi devices work well with Linux
> these days, of course assuming you have installed the right drivers /
> firmware, and that they are not blocked by the firmware which seems to
> be the issue in this thread.
>
> When it comes to usb adapters, the vendors have a tendency to do very
> evil things. In the past I have needed usb_modeswitch to be installed
> to make things work, but YMMV.
>
> -t

Thank you, it's an USB device. Installing usb_modeswitch (and a restart)
didn't change anything. For a vanilla install of Ubuntu the USB
adapter's LED will flash, it doesn't for Arch Linux.
I don't want to capture this thread. If needed I'll open a new thread,
when I again start to get it working with Arch Linux.

Regards,
Ralf