[arch-general] moving away from gnome

Mantas M. grawity at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:30:31 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 07:24:25PM +0000, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> On 02/25/2012 07:22 PM, Jesse Juhani Jaara wrote:
> >lauantai, 25. helmikuuta 2012 20:19:31 Jan Steffens kirjoitti:
> >>Probably gnome-settings-daemon
> >The GNOME Settings Daemon is responsible for setting various parameters of a
> >GNOME Session and the applications that run under it.
> >Short: is the GConf X settings daemon.
> >
> >Sure it launches that but is totally irrelevant here, it only manages Gnome's
> >settings, just like the name suggests :D
>
> Alright good, then I'll shut down all these things, fire up awesome
> and try to
> get everything working..
> But another thing, is there a way to find out what command is exactly run
> when pressing things in the gnome-panel?
> (For example when I launch suspend from the gnome-panel, what is it
> executed?)

The "Suspend" menu item calls ConsoleKit over DBus; the method calls are listed at <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Allow_Users_to_Shutdown#Using_consolekit>.

Note that the item does not 'execute' anything; DBus method calls are done by gnome-panel itself. You can use `dbus-send`, `gdbus call`, `qdbus`, Net::DBus, or whatever you like.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>