[arch-general] Suspend seems not to work with nVidia Nouveau driver

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Tue Jan 3 16:28:15 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Jonathan Vasquez <jvasquez1011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Alex Ferrando <alferpal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/01/12 21:25, Javier Vasquez wrote:
>>>
>>> % 'grep' resume /etc/mkinitcpio.conf HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi
>>> sata usb filesystems keymap usbinput resume"
>>
>> Last time I checked (2 secs ago) resume hook should go before filesystems.
>
> I have this but my comp as I said before doesn't even get to suspend
> in the first place since it gets stuck at the black screen just before
> suspending:
>
> HOOKS="base udev scsi sata lvm2 resume filesystems usbinput"

is there a reason to not use the `autodetect` hook?

it's not clear to me that everyone in this thread is talking about
suspend-to-disk, ie. `hibernation` ... the OP i believe was referring
to suspend-to-RAM, though perhaps i am mistaken ... AFAIK the term
"suspend" is generally used for the RAM variant.

`resume` hook is for hibernation only.  it should run immediately
after the swap partition holding the frozen image becomes available.
whatever drivers/hooks needed to access the swap device should of
course run first, in general this just means `udev` + `autodetect` --
if the swap partition is on an LVM2 partition, *then* `lvm2` hook is
also ran -- again, run the minimum needed to access to the swap
partition, then follow it by the `resume` hook.  i don't remember for
sure, but IIRC so long as the `udev` hook is ran before `resume`
(always), you *should* be able to use the device UUID or label.

the `filesystem` hook is install-only (no actual hook) ... it just
adds all the FS modules (usually filtered by `autodetect` hook) -- the
order won't make a difference -- in general it should be last or near
the end.  IIRC `resume` should normally follow `udev` unless the setup
is a bit more complex (eg, LVM2).

i don't really use hibernation, but there is likely a way to increase
verbosity by modifying the initramfs hook and rebuilding the image.
FTW, i use nouveau with suspend-to-RAM often, without issue.

--

C Anthony