[arch-general] Suspend seems not to work with nVidia Nouveau driver

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:39:26 EST 2012

On 1/3/12, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Jonathan Vasquez <jvasquez1011 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> Last time I checked (2 secs ago) resume hook should go before
>>> filesystems.
>>
>> I have this but my comp as I said before doesn't even get to suspend
>> in the first place since it gets stuck at the black screen just before
>> suspending:
>>
>> HOOKS="base udev scsi sata lvm2 resume filesystems usbinput"
>
> is there a reason to not use the `autodetect` hook?
>
> it's not clear to me that everyone in this thread is talking about
> suspend-to-disk, ie. `hibernation` ... the OP i believe was referring
> to suspend-to-RAM, though perhaps i am mistaken ... AFAIK the term
> "suspend" is generally used for the RAM variant.
>
> `resume` hook is for hibernation only.  it should run immediately
> after the swap partition holding the frozen image becomes available.
> whatever drivers/hooks needed to access the swap device should of
> course run first, in general this just means `udev` + `autodetect` --
> if the swap partition is on an LVM2 partition, *then* `lvm2` hook is
> also ran -- again, run the minimum needed to access to the swap
> partition, then follow it by the `resume` hook.  i don't remember for
> sure, but IIRC so long as the `udev` hook is ran before `resume`
> (always), you *should* be able to use the device UUID or label.
>
> the `filesystem` hook is install-only (no actual hook) ... it just
> adds all the FS modules (usually filtered by `autodetect` hook) -- the
> order won't make a difference -- in general it should be last or near
> the end.  IIRC `resume` should normally follow `udev` unless the setup
> is a bit more complex (eg, LVM2).
>
> i don't really use hibernation, but there is likely a way to increase
> verbosity by modifying the initramfs hook and rebuilding the image.
> FTW, i use nouveau with suspend-to-RAM often, without issue.
>
> --
>
> C Anthony

As I have things set, I have no problems with "suspend to RAM"
(actually what gets written into /sys/power/state is "mem", and I use
"acpitool -s" for that in a similar script I use for suspend to
disk)...

I use suspend to disk to resume work after a night, or days, in which
case suspend to RAM is not good given its power consumption, not to
mention consuming power and the environment, :-)

So, as I haven't experienced problems with suspend to RAM, my
supposition, and perhaps other's, was that we were talking about
suspend to disk...

BTW, you were right about the resume hook, only thing is that it's
documented in the pm-utils wiki which I do not use, :-)  Not sure if
that'll help me specifying the resume swap partition with UUID type of
specification instead of plain partition, I'll have to try out, :-)

--
Javier.