[arch-general] Newbies in Arch [WAS: Suspend seems not to work with nVidia Nouveau driver]

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 4 09:27:39 EST 2012

On 04/01/12 09:54, Peter Cannon wrote:
> On 04/01/12 03:25, Jonathan Vasquez wrote:
>
> Carry on doing what *you* want not what others want you to do. I
> too joined "The pain of making tea." that is Arch Linux due to the
> statement that used to be on display;
>
> *Q)*When I run “pacman –sync” it comes up with “could not open
> sync database:reponame have you used –refresh yet?” but when I run
> pacman –refresh it does nothing?!
>
> *A)*This error is due to your inability to read man pages. We
> recommend you try the pacman man page – it really is very useful.
>
> I also agree that it's probably not for an absolute beginner,
> however if you can read a wiki or a forum then I see no reason why
> a so called n00b shouldn't give Arch a go.
>
> I see no excuse for arrogance or rudeness people that do that can
> "Get off my lawn." thank you very much.
>
> "There is *every* excuse for not knowing, there is *no* excuse for
> not asking."
>
> #freedom

Usually when I go to a doctor he doesn't accurate his diagnostic ..
maybe in 70% of the cases (as optimum) he have to ask proper
information, and I have to give him, if I say "i don't know" too him
so many times, he will try to figure out what I have and for sure that
70% of accuracy on his diagnostic will fail.

What I wanted to say with this is, sometimes get bombed by a chain of
mails with some non-sense info which can confuse a lot it's
irrelevant, and as Jonathan and Javier (which I thought they're
related or the same person at some point .. that happens with similar
names, imagine somebody called for example Andrés Velásquez writting
here i'd be confusing.)

The problem is that in my point of view, we're sick of repeating stuff
to somepeople, I usually ignore posts from top-posters since them
confuse me a lot, that's why I said my troll comment, which in fact
was accurated but not on the topic (comparing again with a doctor,
imagine going to the doctor he's doing a complete exam to your body to
determine why .. you have a hurt in your hand .. and he said something
like .. "oh did you injured your knee before?".

Again, the most funny part of this stuff was the thing when Jonathan
believe he is so valuable than the rest of people who have to beg him
to don't do top-posting. Seriously dude, I don't want to play the card
of "see my mail address" or "google my name" in order to compare
contributions, even .. it's funny that you want to compare your
contributions with me or Gaetan .. we didn't that with you, and we're
speaking as a user like you, we are not just developers of the project
we are actually users, so it's totally pointless to play that card.

Again, as i've saying before, i don't know who the hell said that the
natural replacement of ubuntu is Arch .. out community is people who
like to read, and people who like to investigate .. not people who
like some magic recipes. Even if somepeople wrote some of these
recipes for Arch, our distro try to teach the user, if you are willing
to learn, a couple of troll comments it's part of the scenary,
whining.. so please stop crying.. and start researching.

That's said, i've been helping a lot of people in this community, i've
discussed with lot of people too, and i got troll comments several
times, despite my contributions of i've helped them in the past, i
don't think in that deeply, i just let it go, my advice.. is when you
don't like a reply.. just let it go.

I won't say sorry if you feel offended, stop the drama. In fact i
congratulate that you actually hhave learned something in this
community (in this mailing list at least).

Cheers.

- --
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net