[arch-general] Newbies in Arch [WAS: Suspend seems not to work with nVidia Nouveau driver]

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Jan 4 09:48:26 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:25 AM, Jonathan Vasquez <jvasquez1011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You are misunderstanding my goals and what I've said.
>
> I said that I'm trying to help people find and use Arch. Whether they
> are expert users from other distros, or they are Noobies who are
> "willing to read documentation". If a person is a noob, that doesn't
> mean that they can't use Arch, they just have to be motivated
> individuals who are willing to seek and learn for themselves. I am
> facilitating resources, documentations, etc, to lower the barrier to
> entry, while at the same time giving information that is in the
> documentation, in a video form.
>
> So we completely agree, the point of Arch, and us, isn't to just go
> around and find noobies that don't want to learn for themselves but
> want others to do the work for them, but to find people that are
> willing to learn, seek for themselves, and contribute back to the
> community. This does not segregate "Noobs who want others to do things
> for them", "Noobs who are willing to be independent and learn for
> themselves", and "Expert users from other Distros who want to learn
> how to use Arch".

Haven't really been following this discussion or read your resources,
but just wanted to add that I think that making information more
accessible and easier to understand is a good thing, so keep it up.

We should of course be wary of leading people into doing things
without understanding them first (which seems to be the way things are
done in e.g. the Ubuntu forums), but I guess that goes without saying.

-t