[arch-general] Battery question about a Firmware Bug in logs.

Don Juan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 16:45:43 EST 2012

On 01/04/2012 01:53 AM, Don Juan wrote:
> On 01/03/2012 08:20 PM, Don Juan wrote:
>> I am running Arch on a Toshiba Qosmio x505-q887. I have tried
>> everything I can find online and in the wikis in setting things up
>> but no matter what I have tried I can not get rid of the message in
>> the logs, though my battery life seems semi reasonable, roughly
>> 1.75hrs on average so far with not much tweaking being done to help
>> extend.
>>
>> Error:
>> [Firmware Bug]: battery: (dis)charge rate invalid.
>>
>> Is this something I should be worried about? Will it screw up my
>> battery in charging and use right now as is? I am not really finding
>> much online in relation to this actual error in the logs. Mostly its
>> people saying that the logs report that the discharge rate is 0% and
>> mine just says discharging and gives no rate or anything.
>>
>> I am fully updated currently, not on testing repos. I also do get 2
>> other messages in the logs that I am not sure if they are related.
>>
>> [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
>> From what I read and understand online, is this is of no real concern
>> and I don't need to worry about it. Is this correct in my thinking
>> and understanding?
>>
>> PCI: Using host bridge windows from ACPI; if necessary, use
>> "pci=nocrs" and report a bug.
>> I have tried doing what it says in the Kernel boot args but it just
>> gives me the same message but saying to do the reverse and use
>> pci=crs. I have not looked much into this one, but don't want to
>> leave out something that may be causing what I am asking.
>>
>> I can send any configs if needed
>>
>> Thanks for anyone's time and effort in helping.
> Also to add some more that I found while still tinkering with this and
> applying the Kernel update that just came through. acpi -V tell me the
> last full capacity I have gotten is 70%, could that be why I am
> getting the invalid (dis)charge rate warning?
>
> Thanks

Well the only other info I can find online, besides trying different
settings which have had no effect. I have tried numerous
fixes/workarounds that were posted in regards to people having a similar
bug but it was in regards to acpi telling them it was discharging at
zero rate. My output is as follows

Battery 0: Discharging, 87%, 01:57:08 remaining

That is all the output I get. Is there a file that is related to
discharge rate some place I can not find? Is this rate built into the
kernel? From what I read this is built in to the kernel but I am not
sure I am grasping that. Am I chasing something that is moot to overall
performance and stability of the laptop? Can I give any other info I am
not thinking of sharing? Is this question that bad I get the silence? ;)

Anyways thanks for reading, hope I am not just pumping noise

Don