[arch-general] Battery question about a Firmware Bug in logs.

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:14:42 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 01:45:43PM -0800, Don Juan wrote:
> Battery 0: Discharging, 87%, 01:57:08 remaining
>
> That is all the output I get. Is there a file that is related to
> discharge rate some place I can not find? Is this rate built into
> the kernel? From what I read this is built in to the kernel but I am
> not sure I am grasping that. Am I chasing something that is moot to
> overall performance and stability of the laptop? Can I give any
> other info I am not thinking of sharing? Is this question that bad I
> get the silence? ;)

well, back when I was using a laptop I used /proc/acpi/battery/BAT*/* where
a state file gave information in mAh about the full state and the present
state in which it is discharging. crafting a progressive algorithm that
dynamically averages battery usage and calculates a remaining time from it
shouldn't be that hard.

I'm not really sure where the mechanism that is trying to calculate these
things for you is coming from, and myself would try to shut it down / see
myself to make things cope with strange data. How correct is the estimate you
get, anyway?

On another notice, does the error make your cpu go crazy or something else
imminent like this? Because otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.

cheers!
mar77i