[arch-general] Toshiba Qosmio [was] Battery question about a Firmware Bug in logs.

Don Juan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 19:31:10 EST 2012

On 01/04/2012 04:19 PM, Jason Melton wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Don Juan<donjuansjiz at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 01/04/2012 04:00 PM, Jason Melton wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Don Juan<donjuansjiz at gmail.com>   wrote:
>>>

>> Side note since you have a Qosmio as well have you ever tried messing with
>> DSDT on yours?
>>
>> Appreciate your time.
>>
> Nah, never messed with DSDT - I barely understand what it is. I have tried
> to document this laptop on the wiki[1], so I would encourage you to do the
> same.
I plan to when I am sure I have things set up properly and working
without issue. Been keeping lots of notes of what I install how I
configure it and so on.

> And, since we are talking about Qosmio's in general, I'll note that I get
> total system freezes that I think happen if wireless drivers are loaded
> when there is a wired connection. Alt+SysRq will not get out of this
> freeze, you have to power off and back on. I also rmmod rtl8192se and
> rtlwifi now when I am using a wired connection, and that seems to have
> resolved things. I'm not confident enough in that diagnosis to put it on
> the wiki, though.
>
> Peace
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Toshiba_Qosimo_X505-Q830
For me the system freezes happened during shutdown reboot dropping to
init 3 and so on. What I found it to be was the Nvidia closed driver and
the nouveau driver giving me the freezing issues. Though just tried the
beta driver last night and I got lockups quickly after booting into X.
Though for me Alt+SysRq+R+E+I+S+U+B always gives me cleaner shutdown in
those types of lock ups.

If I use the nv driver, the one you rarely hear anyone ever say to use
for nvidia stuff anymore, works for me. No desktop candy type effects
but I don't care about that. I just blacklisted nouveau and vesa and
made sure the xf86-video-nv was installed. And everything has been great
while using this driver while xorg and nvidia figure things out. I could
never get nouveau to work properly for me. But with wifi on and being
used the whole time and on nv driver the system seems to run really
smooth, with occasional lag opening a window full screen. But maybe your
issue is different, though I remember when I used Fedora for awhile I
had issues with the rtl driver provided and had to use an older version
I dl'd from the website and it eliminated the lock up.