[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] kmod-3 in [testing]

Bjørn Øivind Bjørnsen bo.bjornsen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 03:06:50 EST 2012

On 06/01/12 05:44, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I've just dropped kmod-3 into testing as a replacement for
>>> module-init-tools. This is still a young project, but it has a lot of
>>> support from active people, and I (as well as Tom) have been working
>>> closely with upstream to flesh out and fix bugs.
>>>
>>> For the most part, you should not notice any difference. kmod was
>>> designed as a drop-in replacement for m-i-t, and all the binaries should
>>> exist with the (mostly) the same options. Whenever possible, options or
>>> features marked deprecated in m-i-t were removed, such as:
>>>
>>> - parsing of depmod/modprobe config for files not ending in .conf
>>> - modprobe's -l, --list options
>>>
>>> IMPORTANT: In line with the first change, it needs to be pointed out
>>> that we will no longer package /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf. This means
>>> that if you wrote to that file, it will be .pacsave'd on removal of
>>> m-i-t and you must rename it. We will continue to ship what used to be
>>> called /etc/depmod.d/depmod.conf, but rename it /lib/depmod.d/search.conf.
>>> This will be a read only file -- users should put their own tweaks in
>>> /etc/depmod.d.
>>>
>>> One other thing you might notice is that kmod doesn't currently include
>>> man pages. I don't consider this a loss -- the m-i-t manpages did not
>>> provide full coverage, nor did the command line help. kmod's binaries
>>> all currently have full coverage of options via -h, --help.
>>>
>>> Lastly, there's an accompanying mkinitcpio update to account for some
>>> extra verbosity of kmod's modprobe and depmod tools. You do *not* need
>>> to regenerate your initramfs images unless you feel so inclined.
>>>
>>> Have fun!
>>
>> Or don't. Not to rain on Dave's parade (this isn't his fault), but
>> unless you want to sit at your initrd shell for a half hour
>> un-breaking stuff, I'd recommend steering clear of this package and
>> sticking with the old but proven module-init-tools. This package
>> causes modprobe when called by udev to randomly not load modules or
>> something; first noticable with uhci_hcd and my mouse (trivial), later
>> with ahci on boot (not cool, not having disk drives).
>>
>> **Tip**: if you get screwed, call `udevadm trigger` a few times, it
>> seems to knock some sense into the system. You can do this in the
>> initrd environment too.
>
> Update- because Dave is awesome, he whipped up some patches and I
> tested them that appear to fix the above problem, so the latest kmod
> package in [testing] should be safe to test.
>
> Thanks Dave!
>
> -Dan

I just installed kmod-3-3 from [testing] and tried a reboot, which
promptly left me with no rootfs and, oddly enough, no keyboard input in
the initrd shell, which made the problem somewhat difficult to debug.
However, an additional boot came up fine. I'm going to keep the package
around to see if it happens again, but I hardly ever boot this box so it
may take a while. This may not be quite ready for [core] just yet ;)

Regards,
Bjørn Øivind