[arch-general] About cron utility

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 04:22:44 EST 2012

On Saturday 07 Jan 2012 11:49:48 郑文辉 wrote:
> Which cron utility should I use,cronie or dcron? Cronie in base group
> seems has a separate anacrontab in /etc which is not kiss I think? If
> anacron functionity has been included in dcron by default, May be dron
> is a good choice?

I would recommend dcron.

It did have some issues around that time with some long-standing bugs that Jim
didn't have time to work on.  Cron daemons aren't known for their fast-paced
development; he was the only guy working on it and was busy with other stuff
for a while.

A couple of us eventually jumped into the code to help him, and all the known
bugs were squashed.  I've been using dcron on a production system at work, as
well as my home server and laptop, and haven't had any problems since that
time.

I believe the Arch devs were too quick to switch to cronie, but that's done
now.  I understand the reasons, and with any other package it would have made
sense, since upstream had been so quiet.  Dcron is unusual, though, in that
upstream is an Arch user, and the project has been kind of tied to Arch for a
while.

Paul