[arch-general] About cron utility

Andreas arch-general at geekparadise.de
Sat Jan 7 10:07:44 EST 2012

2012/1/7 Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com>:
> On Saturday 07 Jan 2012 11:49:48 郑文辉 wrote:
>> Which cron utility should I use,cronie or dcron? Cronie in base group
>> seems has a separate anacrontab in /etc which is not kiss I think? If
>> anacron functionity has been included in dcron by default, May be dron
>> is a good choice?
>
> I would recommend dcron.
>
> It did have some issues around that time with some long-standing bugs that Jim
> didn't have time to work on.  Cron daemons aren't known for their fast-paced
> development; he was the only guy working on it and was busy with other stuff
> for a while.
>
> A couple of us eventually jumped into the code to help him, and all the known
> bugs were squashed.  I've been using dcron on a production system at work, as
> well as my home server and laptop, and haven't had any problems since that
> time.
>
> I believe the Arch devs were too quick to switch to cronie, but that's done
> now.  I understand the reasons, and with any other package it would have made
> sense, since upstream had been so quiet.  Dcron is unusual, though, in that
> upstream is an Arch user, and the project has been kind of tied to Arch for a
> while.
>
> Paul

Does someone know if cronie does support running missed jobs
automatically (asynchronous job processing)?
Wiki says dcron does it, but it does not mention cronie, but I think
cronie can do that,too.
Just wondering if it is better to use dcron or cronie...some of my
machines still have dcron, others have cronie (arch switched from
dcron to cronie in may 2011), but I want all my machines to use the
same..

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cron#Asynchronous_job_processing

Andreas