[arch-general] Question concerning curl package

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 06:14:34 EST 2012

I see that curl was updated in [core] (and probably through [testing]
first?) to 7.24.0

With this update, my AUR package (don't jump me yet, please)
rainlendar-beta-unstable, when run, gives me the following error
message:-
rainlendar: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_3' not found
(required by rainlendar)

Now, I understand that binary-distributed packages such as rainlendar
usually have lib version related problems, but in my (not very long)
experience those show up in terms of 'library not found' because
they're looking for, maybe, libcurl.so.3 or something like that. If
rainlendar is actually looking for the right lib version, does that
mean that curl has made changes to the API (or was it ABI) without
bumping release number?

Basically wondering whether to place the blame on rainlendar or curl here.

P.S. - don't think its important, but the curl package has a a patch
called fix-J-with-O-regression.patch which does not seem to be used.