[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] KDE 4.8.0 hits [testing]

Morris lorimz at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 03:26:35 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:

> On 01/27/2012 01:40 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> > Welcome!
>
>  Thank you!
>

> >>   (2) One smallish potential problem zone on laptop is the new power
> >> applet - profiles are gone and it is no longer possible to choose a
> >> 'powersave' vs 'performance' via a toggle.
> >
> > This seems to be working as intended
> > (http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.8/plasma.php), so nothing that we
> > should do anything about (if you think it should change it should be
> > taken up with upstream).
>
>   Agreed completely - was just making a comment ...
>

> > That's an annoying bug (both with CLI and with GUI workarounds imho).
> > If you know where in the stack the problem is
>
>   I need to work on it to track it down further and confirm it is still
> happening with current kernel/plasma et al - in the past it has taken a
> couple of sleep/wake cycles to trigger ...
>
> > (plasma/solid/upower/kernel), please file bug upstream. If not, file a
> > bug at bugs.archlinux.org and we'll try to figure it out :)
> >
> >>  There is a toggle to 'turn off power management - useful for
> >> presentations on battery I suppose ... tho when I tried it earlier on
> >> battery it did not seem to restore performance mode for me ... I need to
> >> investigate that further tho'.
> >
> > If it persists, please file bug :-)
> >

>    Will do ...
>

>  gene

Hello Gene,

I have a W520 too and I can share what I did for power management in KDE:

- first of all, I suggest you to install tlp [1] from aur
- I wrote a little bash script [2] to set cpufreq's governor and lcd's
brightness, located in /root/governor.sh
- enabled wheel group to use it without password with the following in
sudoers: %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: SETENV: /root/governor.sh
- in KDE's systemsettings -> power management, I enabled "run script" on
profile load, with the following settings:
AC profile -> "sudo /root/governor.sh ac"
BATTERY profile -> "sudo /root/governor.sh bat"

using these settings my laptop correctly switches profile on AC->BAT (and
viceversa) events

Cheers,
Morris

[1] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48464