[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jan 28 13:12:56 EST 2012

It would be nice to have a sandbox, a list to discuss things like this.
I guess non of those is the right place:

So a last note by me, then I'll be quiet.

On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 17:29 +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Sat, 28 Jan 2012 15:09:30 +0100
> schrieb Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no>:
>
> > Have you tried after this fix was released:
> > <http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=commitdiff;h=d3906a93072171e5b5f4000d4a228af4eb8fa253>?
>
> Like I've written in another e-mail in this thread:
>
> And, no, artificially crippling a (semi-)professional audio card down
> to stereo with a strange ALSA configuration is not a solution for this.
> And, no, it's not ALSA's fault like Lennart Poettering says, it's
> PulseAudio's fault.

When Suse switched to PA years ago, they blamed users for not
understanding Linux, the audio experts from Suse forums didn't know how
to fix it, but they were sure, stupid users like me must have broken
their Suse, because stupid users like me are to stupid to install Suse
from DVD. They called me a troll.

This is how I fixed Suse a long time ago and this solution wasn't from
any Suse experts, this and other hints are from the Linux "pro-"audio
community.

[root at archlinux spinymouse]# mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/suse11.2
[root at archlinux spinymouse]#
cat /mnt/suse11.2/usr/share/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf
[snip]
<confdir:pcm/front.conf>

ICE1712.pcm.front.0 {
	@args [ CARD ]
	@args.CARD {
		type string
	}
	type route
	ttable.0.0 1
	ttable.1.1 1
	slave.pcm {
		type hw
		card $CARD
	}
        #### fix PA issue ####
        slave.format S32_LE
        slave.channels 10
        ######################
}
[snip]

IMO it make no sense to discuss the PA issue, especially not when the
thread is about "mount".
I wonder why distros not simply provide dummy packages to replace the PA
packages, if users prefer not to install PA. It's not secure to think
that some distro doesn't force users to install PA, e.g. for Debian
GNOME2 didn't force you to install it, but with the upgrade to GNOME3,
they introduced it. And there's absolutely no reason to do it. GNOME3 on
Debian did run and audio wasn't broken, when I replaced PA by a
self-build dummy package. Yes, I already wrote this in another thread.

So arguing a user should use another DE, if he doesn't like PA, isn't a
solution. Btw. here on Arch I wish to be free to use GDM even if my DE
is XFCE. I installed a dummy for PA here too. I really wonder why DM
needs PA ;).

As I mentioned before, most users and developers praise PA, even some
pro-audio developers aren't against PA, so we should learn to live with
it.

More OT: We should pray not to get tons of sub-versions for different
versions of jack ;)

[root at archlinux spinymouse]# pacman -Ss jack2 | grep /
community/jack2 1.9.8-1 [installed]
community/jack2-dbus 1.9.8-1
multilib/jack2-dbus-multilib 1.9.8-1
multilib/jack2-multilib 1.9.8-1
kxstudio-free/jack2-dbus-ladish 1.9.7-3
kxstudio-free/jack2-ladish 1.9.7-3

fortunately we're still free to use packages for a classic "jack", build
to connect and not to refuse connections.