[arch-general] PulseAudio again (was: change in mount behaviour?)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jan 28 16:05:25 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 20:25 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 01:14:47PM -0600, Leonid Isaev wrote:
>
> > PA is a great consumer thing, and that's exactly what we need.
>
> PA is indeed a great consumer thing, and it may be what
> you need. It is definitely not what some others need.
>
> > Because noone cares about "pro" audio solutions
>
> You mean _you_ don't.
>
> > which are a nightmare to configure.
>
> Very strange that you claim to have some knowledge on
> something you don't care about. Which 'pro' audio HW
> have you actually used ? On what experience is is your
> 'nightmare to configure' comment based ?
>
> Having used a significant percentage of what is available,
> and earning my daily pizza by providing services and
> consultancy mostly based on Linux audio using 'pro' HW,
> I can only say that your comment is pure nonsense.

I need to chime in here. (Hard to shut up) After some conversation off
list I agree that a dummy package provided by the repositories might be
a less good idea.

But I noticed some lacks of knowhow.

E.g. it's not a problem for a classic Jack only. Cards as the Envy24
ones (the OP already tried to explain this) or the RME (Fons already
mentioned it) already don't work with PA.

So if even software like GDM depends to PA (it might be a dependency of
a dependency), it's ridiculous. Of cause, it's possible to use another
login manager, but someday too many apps might depend on PA, that don't
need PA.

The different "solutions" to turn off PA often don't work. "autospawn =
no" might work for Arch Linux, but AFAIK some distros still kept
disadvantages of PA when using this.

Cheers,

Ralf