[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 05:13:00 EST 2012

On Jan 29, 2012 5:46 PM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 07:22 +0800, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> > On Jan 29, 2012 3:29 AM, "Tom Gundersen" <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> > > It should be possible, though I don't use Jack, so this is all I know:
> > >
> > > <http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/JackDbusPackaging>
> > >
> > > -t
> > It is true, using jack 2 and pulse. Lots of hear say and too little
actual
> > knowledge in these sort of threads... "Alsa works perfectly for me,
pulse
> > doesn't, it sucks and its maintainer has a secret agenda against all
Linux
> > pros...."
>
> Are you a professional audio engineer using Linux audio? You're using
> Jack DBus? For what kind of productions? What setup do you use?
>
> Even if Jack DBus should be ok for my needs, it's uneconomic to switch
> back from familiar setup.

No I am not, if I was I'd be ashamed to be criticizing a project without
first getting my facts right.

> A lot of people need to switch from GNOME to Xfce, not because of PA,
> since PA easily can be replaced by a dummy package, but because of other
> bad changes. You can't do such hard changes of the work flow in a
> professional environment from one day to the other, when several people
> are involved.
>
> FWIW I'm jobless at the moment, but my life career is audio and video
> engineer for around 30 years, from small studios to world famous
> companies. I might have less knowledge about Linux, but I know about
> professional audio work flow.

Yes,  why not generalize when a specific example is debunked? I'm sure all
Linux installs MUST be ready to use out of the box for professional audio
users. after all, the same is true for the other operating systems.

> Comments like you makes a majority of engineers use Apple and Windows
> for pro-audio, while Linux would be the better choice, if there wouldn't
> be such issues and comments like yours.

No one here has claimed Linux to be the better choice (opinion) because
systems are tools, not ideologies. Linux comes with disadvantages and
advantages, in the case of audio you have choice (just like you can replace
coreaudio on Macs, right), which comes at the cost of having to actually
maintain your system and not expecting it to always work the same way.

Just use windows and Apple already, Linux's pro audio is Jack, it is NOT
ootb friendly (that's why is "pro"), and pulse does not change that. You're
just looking for something to rant about related to Lennart, I think.