[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 29 05:35:50 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 18:13 +0800, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2012 5:46 PM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> running, PA

> > > It is true, using jack 2 and pulse. Lots of hear say and too little
> actual
> > > knowledge in these sort of threads... "Alsa works perfectly for me,
> pulse
> > > doesn't, it sucks and its maintainer has a secret agenda against all
> Linux
> > > pros...."
> >
> > Are you a professional audio engineer using Linux audio? You're using
> > Jack DBus? For what kind of productions? What setup do you use?
> >
> > Even if Jack DBus should be ok for my needs, it's uneconomic to switch
> > back from familiar setup.
>
> No I am not, if I was I'd be ashamed to be criticizing a project without
> first getting my facts right.
> >
> > A lot of people need to switch from GNOME to Xfce, not because of PA,
> > since PA easily can be replaced by a dummy package, but because of other
> > bad changes. You can't do such hard changes of the work flow in a
> > professional environment from one day to the other, when several people
> > are involved.
> >
> > FWIW I'm jobless at the moment, but my life career is audio and video
> > engineer for around 30 years, from small studios to world famous
> > companies. I might have less knowledge about Linux, but I know about
> > professional audio work flow.
>
> Yes,  why not generalize when a specific example is debunked? I'm sure all
> Linux installs MUST be ready to use out of the box for professional audio
> users. after all, the same is true for the other operating systems.
> >
> > Comments like you makes a majority of engineers use Apple and Windows
> > for pro-audio, while Linux would be the better choice, if there wouldn't
> > be such issues and comments like yours.
>
> No one here has claimed Linux to be the better choice (opinion) because
> systems are tools, not ideologies. Linux comes with disadvantages and
> advantages, in the case of audio you have choice (just like you can replace
> coreaudio on Macs, right), which comes at the cost of having to actually
> maintain your system and not expecting it to always work the same way.
>
> Just use windows and Apple already, Linux's pro audio is Jack, it is NOT
> ootb friendly (that's why is "pro"), and pulse does not change that. You're
> just looking for something to rant about related to Lennart, I think.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ralf

I never said anything against Lennart. I don't know him, I even didn't
know that he has to do with PA, before Heiko or who ever it was has
written about him. Why this assumption? Again, I never rant against
Lennart! Quote any rant I have done!

I claim that Linux is the best choice to go for pro-audio.

Where didn't I get the facts right? Again: Do you know about problems
when using Jack DBus? Have you ever used it? You might search the LAD
and LAU archives before you claim, that I don't get the facts right.

Regards,

Ralf