[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Sun Jan 29 10:06:24 EST 2012

Fons Adriaensen [2012.01.29 1442 +0000]:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 02:46:37PM +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
>
> > This has already been tried at least with pulseaudio. Their reactions
> > are known. Blame ALSA for PA's faults while ALSA supports those card
> > perfectly since years, and crippling those audio cards down to stereo
> > with some very strange ALSA configs, because PA's upstream just doesn't
> > have the knowledge about those cards and about pro-audio.
>
> They *DO* know and understand the difference between consumer and
> 'pro' audio. PA just isn't meant for the latter.
>
> I wonder what your problem is. There is no audio production software
> I know of that uses or depends on PA. It's going to stay that way.
> So _it doesn't matter_ if PA doesn't support your soundcard. I'd
> even say it's a good thing that PA stays away from anything 'pro'.

I just posted a comment in this thread, observing that the problem is not
pro-audio vs non-pro-audio hardware.  The difference is between hardware that
works and hardware that doesn't work, and the latter most certainly includes
distinctly non-pro hardware that works great with ALSA but not with PA.

Cheers,
Norbert