[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 29 10:32:35 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 11:06 -0400, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> Fons Adriaensen [2012.01.29 1442 +0000]:
> > On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 02:46:37PM +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> >
> > > This has already been tried at least with pulseaudio. Their reactions
> > > are known. Blame ALSA for PA's faults while ALSA supports those card
> > > perfectly since years, and crippling those audio cards down to stereo
> > > with some very strange ALSA configs, because PA's upstream just doesn't
> > > have the knowledge about those cards and about pro-audio.
> >
> > They *DO* know and understand the difference between consumer and
> > 'pro' audio. PA just isn't meant for the latter.
> >
> > I wonder what your problem is. There is no audio production software
> > I know of that uses or depends on PA. It's going to stay that way.
> > So _it doesn't matter_ if PA doesn't support your soundcard. I'd
> > even say it's a good thing that PA stays away from anything 'pro'.
>
> I just posted a comment in this thread, observing that the problem is not
> pro-audio vs non-pro-audio hardware.  The difference is between hardware that
> works and hardware that doesn't work, and the latter most certainly includes
> distinctly non-pro hardware that works great with ALSA but not with PA.
>
> Cheers,
> Norbert

At least one user pointed out that he's using an Envy24 card, but he
isn't using audio production software. He only use such a sound card to
get better sound quality, than consumer crap will produce. Btw. a wise
decision, a Hifi CD player is more expensive, than an Envy24 sound card,
that at Ebay are available at around 30,-€. The other point is, that
more and more depends to PA, even if it's unneeded. Comparable to Emacs
depending to ConsoleKit. When will stop those dependency issues? Will
Firefox become a dependency for leafpad next week?
At the beginning of this discussion I pointed out, that most averaged
desktop audio users on mailing lists are comfortable with PA, as long as
they don't get issues, but once they run into PA related troubles, then
they need some good advice.

Cheers,
Ralf

--