[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 10:52:11 EST 2012

On 29-01-2012 15:03, Norbert Zeh wrote:

> As many others, I am happily running without PA and will probably be able to
> continue to do so for a long time because I don't even use Gnome or KDE.  I just
> felt the need to add to the discussion because some people in this thread defend
> PA as the golden bullet for desktop audio use, which it absolutely isn't in my
> experience.  If this was a result of using hardware that simply isn't supported
> well by linux drivers, then that would be my fault, but, as already said, plain
> ALSA works simply great.  Throw PA into the mix, and things start to go wonky.

Currently I am also a happy pa user and I haven't experienced any of the
most common problems that affected pa users, but before I had to use
ossv4 because plain alsa would output crappy sound until some major
driver rework landed on the kernel.

I've seen a small part of both worlds and I know how frustrating it is
when things don't work when and how they should, but as with most
things, usually the blame isn't on one side only.

I know that alsa devs and pa dev(s) already did their fair share of
blame throwing, it might be a case of pa missing some important
features/support or doing something that doesn't make sense but I
wouldn't discard the possibility of bugs in drivers for less common
cards or many workarounds/fixes still missing in drivers for really
cheap and sometimes broken cards/chips/hardware implementations.

Take as an example the recent problem with KDE (I think it was KDE) and
open source graphics drivers. Drivers advertised support for some
modernish opengl features, KDE tried to used them, but as they were
never really widely used and tested there were lots of problems and in
some cases the advertised support wasn't even implemented in the
drivers, the only thing that was missing was software to expose the
problems.

Any problems and feature requests should be reported upstream, at least
let the blame "brainstorming" happen at a level where it might do some
good, even if the respective devs don't want to acknowledge the problems
they might silently fix things or make them work better :p

--
Mauro Santos