[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 10:57:37 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:03:13AM -0400, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> Things I observed (on Ubuntu, Mint, openSUSE, Arch...so it's not
> distro-specific) were way too low input (mic) and output volumes even when
> setting the volume controls to 100%.  I really wanted to use PA because it
> offers something ALSA does not: simultaneous audio streams from different
> applications (i.e., when firing up Windows in a VirtualBox, it does not hog my
> audio).  So I googled for hours, read through forum posts, etc. and all I could
> find were hacks that either didn't work at all or resulted in the right volume
> but at completely unacceptable distortion levels.

hey

funny you mention it, when I came from ubuntu I configured alsa/dmix on arch
and for the first time since I was using linux I heard sound from multiple
applications at once... we could just settle that the depth of support varies
between the two. Also, duplicate efforts are a common linux problem, and maybe
some people would like to see pa devs on alsa/dmix. Saying such a thing is
ridiculous though, since one will not be able to change things. I use xdm which
doesn't depend on mesa/opengl stuff yet, nor pa, and it's actually possible to
get most features that come with gdm, eg. session chooser, working with xdm.

Whenever I want to get comfortable, I also try to get in touch with upstream
when I think about adding features or have patches already, and I'm pretty
much addicted to the additional effort linux is asking from me.
I hope I won't stop learning new stuff soon, I might just go and buy such a pro
audio card for teh arghs to patch the hell out of pa.

Okay, I'm not *that* bored... :)

cheers!
mar77i