[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 29 11:44:46 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 16:57 +0100, Martti Kühne wrote:
> it's actually possible to get most features that come with gdm, eg.
> session chooser, working with xdm.

This was the same for GDM. What would you do if the next upgrade will
make XDM depend to PA? Of cause, you'll simply install another login
manager. But what will you do if really important applications get such
an unneeded dependency and it will break your work flow completely?
That's the point. Again and again and again, it's no problem as long as
it is for PA only and you've the knowledge to build a dummy package.
Fortunately some packaging things for Arch are completely different to
some old major distros. So, in this case it seems to be an issue cause
upstream, but the more people understand what's the problem is, the
better WE can inform upstream. Reading the last mails, there are a lot
of misunderstandings, e.g. simply use jackdbus etc.. Btw. for other
distros software sometimes is picked to pieces, e.g. libjack and jackd
and all the times there were issues related to this. Regarding to this
Jack isn't issue for any distro I know today, but dependency hell still
is an issue, even for Arch.

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 15:52 +0000, Mauro Santos wrote:
I know that alsa devs and pa dev(s) already did their fair share of
> blame throwing, it might be a case of pa missing some important
> features/support or doing something that doesn't make sense but I
> wouldn't discard the possibility of bugs in drivers for less common
> cards

What are "less common" audio cards? Envy24 is a very common microchip
used by tons of audio cards, not only for audio production. RME are the
only good supported, professional cards for Linux, that's why they are
not exotic for audio production. Those cards have drivers that work.

When I've got a set up and I'll upgrade it, it's ok if things get
borked, because of a new sound server. But if a group of people file bug
reports, than it's ignorant not to fix the new sound server, but instead
to demand that it must become dependency for more and more software even
if it has nothing to do with audio.

- Ralf