[arch-general] Nvidia Driver issues

Don deJuan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 13:54:09 EST 2012

First off I just would like to start off by saying please do not tell me
to use nouveau. They do not work and have not worked for me on multiple
distros for well over a year now. I also need cuda support on my laptop.
I am currently running the xorg-nv driver.

I am at a complete loss as far as what is going wrong or what I am
missing when trying to install the Nvidia proprietary driver. I have a
Nvidia GeForce GTS 360m card. I am fully updated, just updated xorg to
1.14-1. I have been trying since installing which started me at xorg 1.11.

What is going wrong is that everything installs fine, but any time I try
and shutdown/reboot it goes to a red screen and locks up there, no
blinking indicators on the keyboard, so does not appear to be a Kernel
panic but an xorg issue. If I do not get the red screen, what happens it
the screen goes black and sits there with a blinking cursor. There is no
way to change terminals either.

I have tried the nvidia nvidia-beta drivers and both have the same
issue. Is this due to the nvidia and xorg 1.11 issues I keep reading
about? What are my options to try and get this working properly? I have
followed the wiki, postings on the bbs. I have tried basically
everything I could find minus actually downgrading to xorg 1.10. Which
from what I read is the only way to get the proprietary to work, but on
arch forums and on here I read of many people with no issue with current
X and nvidia closed source drivers, so I would think it must be me who
is causing the issue.

Thanks for any help, info and most of all your time