[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Sun Jan 29 14:23:50 EST 2012

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 17:44:46 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 16:57 +0100, Martti Kühne wrote:
> > it's actually possible to get most features that come with gdm, eg.
> > session chooser, working with xdm.
>
> This was the same for GDM. What would you do if the next upgrade will
> make XDM depend to PA? Of cause, you'll simply install another login
> manager. But what will you do if really important applications get such
> an unneeded dependency and it will break your work flow completely?
> That's the point. Again and again and again, it's no problem as long as
> it is for PA only and you've the knowledge to build a dummy package.

So how exactly does an unwanted dep break your workflow? So XDM depends on PA
-- big deal -- noone forces you to actually use PA. Just get your job done and
in the evening rebuild the package.

> What are "less common" audio cards? Envy24 is a very common microchip
> used by tons of audio cards, not only for audio production. RME are the
> only good supported, professional cards for Linux, that's why they are
> not exotic for audio production. Those cards have drivers that work.
>
> When I've got a set up and I'll upgrade it, it's ok if things get
> borked, because of a new sound server. But if a group of people file bug
> reports, than it's ignorant not to fix the new sound server, but instead
> to demand that it must become dependency for more and more software even
> if it has nothing to do with audio.

PA, gnome, consolekit are essentially redhat things and are very closely tight
to fedora. These people are trying to produce a great OS. They don't have to
care about other linuxes. Do you have to pay for PA/gnome? If you are sooooo
unhappy with PA -- fork it and develop it the way you like.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D