[arch-general] [solved] Pulseaudio - was Re: change in mount behaviour?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 29 15:27:46 EST 2012

Hi :)

the real issue isn't solved, but here are two hints how to get rid of PA
for current Arch Linux, to stop the never ending, useless discussion.

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 13:23 -0600, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> Just get your job done and in the evening rebuild the package.

I'm using this package since I'm using audio with Arch Linux
$ ls /usr/src/pulseaudio-dummy -l
Dec 23 18:10 PKGBUILD
Jan 15 01:43 pulseaudio-dummy-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
I'm in no hurry ;).

Anyway those solutions might be helpful for others:

gnome-settings-daemon-nopulse 3.2.2-1 is available at

I'm using a pulseaudio-dummy package.

$ cat /usr/src/pulseaudio-dummy/PKGBUILD
pkgname=pulseaudio-dummy
pkgver=1.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A dummy package that pretends to provide pulseaudio."
arch=('any')
url=""
license=('BSD')
provides=('pulseaudio')
conflicts=('pulseaudio')
source=()

Both posted several times before.
Btw. somebody from this list explained me how to build dummy-packages
for Arch Linux, by this example, since I'm new to Arch.

A dummy-package IMO is the best way to go, since it protect against
installing PA, what ever I do. So I can install what ever GNOME or KDE
app I like and if I should install GNOME3, I could upgrade
gnome-settings-daemon from extra, without taking care about PA.

Perhaps this could damage an app, but I never experienced this for
another Linux install I used.

This are just workarounds that don't solve the essence of that issue.
Ok, the essence has to be clarified with upstream.

> Do you have to pay for PA/gnome?

I'm using XFCE. The sub-thread was about issues caused by the policy of
PA, not about my personal problems I might or might not have.

:)
Ralf

PS: I suspect [solved] is for "silence", regarding to the S/N ratio.