[arch-general] [solved] Pulseaudio - was Re: change in mount behaviour?

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Sun Jan 29 17:02:11 EST 2012

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:27:46 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> the real issue isn't solved, but here are two hints how to get rid of PA
> for current Arch Linux, to stop the never ending, useless discussion.
>
> On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 13:23 -0600, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> > Just get your job done and in the evening rebuild the package.
>
> I'm using this package since I'm using audio with Arch Linux
> $ ls /usr/src/pulseaudio-dummy -l
> Dec 23 18:10 PKGBUILD
> Jan 15 01:43 pulseaudio-dummy-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
> I'm in no hurry ;).
>
> Anyway those solutions might be helpful for others:
>
> gnome-settings-daemon-nopulse 3.2.2-1 is available at
>
> I'm using a pulseaudio-dummy package.
>
> $ cat /usr/src/pulseaudio-dummy/PKGBUILD
> pkgname=pulseaudio-dummy
> pkgver=1.0
> pkgrel=1
> pkgdesc="A dummy package that pretends to provide pulseaudio."
> arch=('any')
> url=""
> license=('BSD')
> provides=('pulseaudio')
> conflicts=('pulseaudio')
> source=()
>
> Both posted several times before.
> Btw. somebody from this list explained me how to build dummy-packages
> for Arch Linux, by this example, since I'm new to Arch.
>
> A dummy-package IMO is the best way to go, since it protect against
> installing PA, what ever I do. So I can install what ever GNOME or KDE
> app I like and if I should install GNOME3, I could upgrade
> gnome-settings-daemon from extra, without taking care about PA.

The dependency problem which everyone seems to be concerned about is not going
anywhere: any linux distro was, is and will be a "mix-and-match". Packagers
try to enable maximum functionality -- hence you have unwanted applications
-- but you can't expect them to satisfy your personal preferences. So if this
situation bothers you there is only one realistic choice -- gentoo.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D