[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jan 29 16:55:28 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:02:25PM +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:42:33 +0000
> schrieb Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>:
>
> > They *DO* know and understand the difference between consumer and
> > 'pro' audio.
>
> I have another impression.

Could be. My impression is based on talking with LP face to face.
And yours ?

> > I wonder what your problem is. There is no audio production software
> > I know of that uses or depends on PA. It's going to stay that way.
> > So _it doesn't matter_ if PA doesn't support your soundcard. I'd
> > even say it's a good thing that PA stays away from anything 'pro'.
>
> I didn't say anything about pro-audio software, I've spoken about DEs
> like Gnome 3 and some distros which want to have PA installed as a
> dependency and probably don't work anymore without PA. If this is or at
> least will be the case then also the pro-audio software won't work
> anymore with those.

I fully agree that designing Gnome or KDE so they can't be installed
easily without PA by a user who accepts the consequences of doing so
(no desktop sounds) is a sign of *very crappy* engineering.

OTOH, if you use one of those desktops you can just suspend PA, start
Jack and your apps and go on. I don't use Gnome or KDE, I don't have
PA installed so I can't talk from experience. But I know that people
are doing this all the time. For example Joern Nettingsmeier, who is
probably using the most complex and advanced pro audio setups ever done
in Linux, apparently has no problem with this.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.