[arch-general] Huge log file for SLiM

Sébastien Leblanc leblancsebas at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:41:09 EDT 2012

That might be somewhat of an issue as I am running systemd and not the
default initscripts, therefore there is no rc.conf file on my
system... Also, `ps` does not report a syslog process running.

Running `systemctl start syslog.service` responded that the syslog
service could not be found.

And this made me realise that only apps with self-managed logs are
currently leaving logs on my system. The last time kernel.log was
updated is on May 31... The only logs that are up-to-date are
'faillog', 'lastlog' and self-managed apps like pacman, X and SLiM.

`pacman -Ql slim` taught me that there's a file located in
/etc/logrotate.d/ that defines configuration for log rotation. This in
turn is used by logrotate(8) which is usually invoked automatically
through cron. This led me to the conclusion that cron(ie) was not
running on my system. Fortunately, cronie includes startup scripts for
systemd, and I was able to start cron through these commands:

# systemctl enable cronie.service
# systemctl start cronie.service

I deleted the /var/log/slim.log file, however the filesystem still
reports being full... That is weird. Sure, 27G files aren't a common
occurence. I hope my filesystem is not thrashed.

Thanks a lot Mikkel for your insight!

--
Sébastien Leblanc