[arch-general] Why Multiple Forums for different issues? Arch Linux/ARM?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 10 05:06:58 EDT 2012

Am 09.07.2012 22:03, schrieb Kevin Mihelich:
> Around March/April 2011, we contacted Aaron Griffin and got
> explicit permission to rename our distribution to Arch Linux ARM since we
> were rapidly expanding our focus from plug computers to a wide variety of
> ARM platforms, and had also brought our packages and overall philosophy in
> line with upstream.

Before I say anything, I want to emphasize that I very much like what
you guys do and have done.

Now, what's the confusion here? People seem to think that you are part
of the main Arch Linux project and are thus confused as to why you have
separate forums.

My suggestion (which I also brought up further down in this thread) is
that you *slightly* distinguish your project from Arch Linux by adding a
small change to the logo. The word "ARM" in small letters in the lower
right corner of the Arch logo would probably look nice. Or, some picture
that people would associate with ARM, like a small representation of a
SoC computer.

That said, other Arch Linux derivatives should probably do the same
(Arch Bang could add a small explosion to the logo, ...).

To clarify: These are only suggestions, I don't want anyone to feel
otherwise. Feel free to disagree and ignore me.

> I'd be more than happy to work with more developers from upstream, and I
> just want to re-emphasize that we're in no way some rogue derivative flying
> your flag.

Let me emphasize that while I never used AL ARM myself, I only heard
positive things about it so far.

I can assure you that nobody inside the Arch team has expressed any
negative feelings towards your project.