[arch-general] [pressh at gmail.com: [arch-dev-public] [newsitem] grub/grub2]

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 11 11:35:35 EDT 2012

Am 11.07.2012 16:24, schrieb Arvid Warnecke:
> What I do not understand is how much GRUB legacy is not supported
> anymore? It won't get removed from the system, but will I have to do any
> manual steps when updating the kernel or something like that?
> At the moment I don't see any reason for trying to install GRUB2 again,
> because last time it failed hard on my MacBook Pro.

This is what it means.

1) You can't install the grub package anymore, unless you build it from AUR.
2) The grub-bios package will install grub2.

But:

Your local grub package will not be replaced (as far as I can see now),
so you will keep it, it just won't receive any updates. Furthermore,
your grub installation in /boot is not updated at all (it wasn't updated
automatically on previous grub updates either, unless you did so manually).

In short, unless you choose to install the new grub packages and
uninstall the legacy one, nothing will happen.