[arch-general] [pressh at gmail.com: [arch-dev-public] [newsitem] grub/grub2]

Arvid Warnecke arvid at nostalgix.org
Wed Jul 11 15:09:46 EDT 2012

Thomas,

thank you for clarification.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 05:35:35PM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 11.07.2012 16:24, schrieb Arvid Warnecke:
> > What I do not understand is how much GRUB legacy is not supported
> > anymore? It won't get removed from the system, but will I have to do any
> > manual steps when updating the kernel or something like that?
> > At the moment I don't see any reason for trying to install GRUB2 again,
> > because last time it failed hard on my MacBook Pro.
>
> 1) You can't install the grub package anymore, unless you build it from AUR.
> 2) The grub-bios package will install grub2.

<snip>

> In short, unless you choose to install the new grub packages and
> uninstall the legacy one, nothing will happen.

And nothing will break. That's good. Just read today that in GRUB2 they
changed the counting of partitions and that hd(0,0) becomes hd(0,1).
Which is absolutely nuts. Or like lua. ;)

Best,
Arvid

--
[ Arvid Warnecke ][ arvid (at) nostalgix (dot) org ]
[ IRC/OPN: "madhatter" ][ http://www.nostalgix.org ]