[arch-general] my Arch box randomly becomes irresponsible

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 07:03:35 EDT 2012

On Sunday 15 Jul 2012 22:06:01 Not To Miss wrote:
> Dear Arch users,
>
> I have latest Arch installed on my desktop at work. In recent two weeks,
> the system randomly "suspends" at night (I call it "randomly" because it
> didn't happen every night. And it seems to happen after a random period
> idle time) when I am off. I can't wake it up in the next morning thru mouse
> or keyboard.
>
> I tried to disable suspension and hibernation by editing
> /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.policy to change
> from
> <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
> <allow_active>no</allow_active>
>
> But it doesn't work.
>
> While I call it "suspend", I am not sure it suspend to RAM or hibernate to
> disk, because I find the CPU fan and power fan still spin normally. RAM
> light is also on. So it might be a video driver / setting related issue.
> For your information, I am using nvidia-302.17-2-x86_64 and have dual
> monitor set up with nvidia-utils-302.17-1-x86_64
>
> This really bothers me a lot. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Completely off-topic, but am I the only one that chuckled at this title?  A
very minor mistake, but "irresponsible" means "not responsible", and brings to
mind pictures of your computer spending all your money, running an anonymous
proxy without asking you, or maybe sending prank e-mails to your friends.
Maybe you're dealing with a teenage computer? :p

You meant to say "unresponsive", but we all understood what you meant to say.

Paul