[arch-general] my Arch box randomly becomes irresponsible

Martin Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Tue Jul 17 03:25:52 EDT 2012

@Not To Miss
If you are using GRUB Legacy (the one that you can choose when installing a
fresh Arch) all you have to do to add a parameter to the kernel is to edit
/boot/grub/menu.cfg and add it to the kernel line.
For example, this is a typical section of Arch's GRUB Legacy fresh menu.cfg:
# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda2 ro
initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img
lock

then you add clocksource=HPET to the kernel line this way:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda2 ro clocksource=HPET
(ro is just another kernel parameter that means "read-only")

If you're using GRUB2 it's a whole different story. Since GRUB2 is a
completely different boot-loader, redesigned from scratch to meet current
cumputing requeriments, you first need to a edit /etc/default/grub file and
add clocksource=HPET to the kernel line and the generate a new
/boot/grub/grub.cfg file as explained in the wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2

Regarding your video issue, I remember time back I too had a similar
problem with a gigabyte-based computer (as pointed by Myra) running GNOME
2.32; what I can't remember if I used xset or vbetool to force turn on
display and temporarily workaround the issue - actually may be both
depending if I did turn on the monitor from an X console or from a tty.
Anyway, both tools are in our repos so you can install them and try luck.

@ PGD: "[...] and brings to mind pictures of your computer spending all
your money, running an anonymous
proxy without asking you, or maybe sending prank e-mails to your friends. Maybe
you're dealing with a teenage computer? :p"

Lol x'D, I almost died with "brings to mind pictures of your computer
spending all your money"

These are the kind of grammatical errors that happens to me too despite I
try to speak a descent english  ^_^
(and the type of corrections I thanks!)

--
-msx