[arch-general] Fwd: arch-general Digest, Vol 93, Issue 66

fredbezies fredbezies at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:51:57 EDT 2012

First of all, sorry for this "all-in-one" answer, I do have to set options :|

[...]
>I think you want to use ArchBoot, the oldest oficial setup.

I do have an archboot iso on an usb key.

[...]

>Personally I think we would be better off with just these scripts +
>lots of documentation. If you are interested in an installer, then I
>guess the best solution is to get involved with the AIF and get it
>into shape again.

If I had the technical background, I would have done it :D

>> I'm not afraid of these scripts, but it could drive away some users
>> which are not ready for a so "simplified" installation tool.

>I think this is a good thing (once we have proper documentation). It
>forces users to understand how their system is set up, and how to fix
>it in case of problems. Unlike with other distributions (e.g. Ubuntu),
>I think this is a necessity when using Arch, and making this clear
>from the beginning should hopefully save both us and users from lots
>of grief.

I do agree. But those kind of breakage are not that current. Using
archlinux since end of 2008 it is the first hard upgrade I faced for a
long time.

And of course, it will help users showing them if archlinux is a
distro for them or not.

[...]
> I'm not afraid of these scripts, but it could drive away some users
> which are not ready for a so "simplified" installation tool.

>In view of the many issues and complaints related to the move from /lib
>to /usr/lib, it seems pretty clear to me that most people who are
>uncomfortable partitioning their disk manually (or unwilling to learn)
>will not grow to enjoy Arch as a distribution.

I do agree. Having a wrapper around these scripts could an answer in a way.

And many many problems for /lib are related to 3rd party packages.
[...]

>> Hello.
>>
>> I've read the wiki page for arch-install-scripts. It is not very
>> "user-friendly". Any hope to see this "embedded" in a program, like
>> good old arch/setup ?
>>
>> I'm not afraid of these scripts, but it could drive away some users
>> which are not ready for a so "simplified" installation tool.
>>

>Archboot:
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archboot
>https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143541

My favourite ISO :)

>It uses a working installer for quite everything.

I do agree, even if grub2 install is kinda busted. I reported a bug
related to this issue => https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/30565

>For complete systemd support next ISO would be better to use,

Full systemd ? Yummy :D

>I'm only waiting for core changes to calm down first.
>greetings
>tpowa

Thanks for the info, Tobias !

--