[arch-general] login fails after update

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Mon Jul 16 14:05:03 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> I agree. We are currently in the final stages of testing a new iso. I'm
> also advocating we drop the core instal as it is causing too many problems
> in case it is outdated.

what if we only built net-install images, and "core" images were
simply the netinstall image + appended partition/image containing the
repo snapshots (or is this how it's done already)?

... then we can simply append the repos to pacman's CacheDir list:

CacheDir    = /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
CacheDir    = /vmm/org-archlinux-mirror-1/pool/packages/
CacheDir    = /vmm/org-archlinux-mirror-1/pool/community/

this has several advantages:
 - pull updated packages (net available)
 - use cached packages only (net unavailable)
 - zero-copy (vs. spinning up a localhost server, etc).
 - properly cache incoming packages (one CacheDir is r/w)
 - `/vmm/*` (or whatever) is just a simple squashfs mount

my local server/mirror does exactly this -- the above is a verbatim
excerpt. in my setup, the cache dirs are read-only --bind mounted into
numerous virtual machines.

working well for ~18 months, if not longer.

--

C Anthony