[arch-general] DeveloperWiki:usrlib - Note -> rebuild any needed packages *before* attempting update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Jul 15 17:20:36 EDT 2012

All,

  After working through the glibc update on several boxes, there should be a
_note_ added to the wiki. You should check the ownership of files in /lib
_before_ attempting any part of the latest update with:

$ find /lib -exec pacman -Qo -- {} +

  You will need to rebuild _all_ custom packages _before_ issuing:

# pacman -Syu --ignore glibc

  Or you will be left _unable_ to rebuild the packages until you have finished
the update due to the state of your system after pacman -Syu --ignore glibc.

  I know most of you know this, but for anyone who simply follows the wiki and
gets to "Issue 2: The final "pacman -Su" still has conflicts in /lib" -- it will
be too late at that point. At this point, just complete the update by whatever
means necessary to get the remaining non-glibc owned files out of /lib, complete
the update, then rebuild what you need.

  I didn't add the note to the wiki. I can, but don't want to do so until
getting any feedback here.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.