[arch-general] /lib to /usr/lib : custom kernel

Martin Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Tue Jul 17 07:29:47 EDT 2012

On 14 July 2012 19:13, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM, set <nmset at netcourrier.com> wrote:
> > I updated one machine following instructions on archlinux.org and the
> process
> > was flawless. That machine was running the Arch kernel.
> >
> > I dare not do it on another machine running a custom kernel. Will a
> system
> > update break the setup because /lib/modules contains a kernel not
> managed by
> > pacman ? If so, how to proceed ? Should the custom kernel be removed
> first ?
>
> If the kernel was installed with pacman, then change the PKGBUILD to
> install it into /usr/lib and rebuild the package.
>
> If you installed directly into /lib/modules, that means that no
> package owns the modules, so you can just move them manually to
> /usr/lib/modules and everything will be ok (this is what I did on my
> machine with a custom kernel).
>
> -t

I usually run Liquorix on my notebook so to ensure a smooth upgrade I did
boot
into Arch's stock kernel, removed linux-lqx, did the upgrade and finally
installed
Liquorix again.
If you use a non-stock kernels, I'm sure the package aur/modprobed_db will
save
you a _lot_ of time while compiling your kernel - and also gain some space.

--
-msx