[arch-general] Quick question about post-MBR gap?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 18:14:11 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Taylor Hedberg <tmhedberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just ignore the troll. There are a few people on this list who seem to
> take offense at the fact that people ask questions about Arch Linux...on
> a list for asking questions about Arch Linux. It's one thing if you had
> made no effort to find an answer on your own, which is admittedly
> irritating, but that doesn't seem to be the case for you. So just don't
> pay him any mind.

Actually the nearest I got to an answer is
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24103 which implies that for more
complex setups there could be a problem without the post-MBR gap in
grub2. So my best bet would indeed be to ensure that all my machines
do have the recommended first partition start point even for legacy
type partitioning (despite the potential pain in so doing) before
attempting to convert or install with grub2 when it moves to core (and
the new netinstall isos). I can foresee some users hitting issues when
grub2 becomes default.

Thanks - I won't pursue this any further on this list.

--
mike c