[arch-general] Roadmap for user-intervention upgrades [was: Still Glibc problems]

Daniel Wallace daniel.wallace at gatech.edu
Fri Jul 20 14:56:20 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 02:41:44PM -0400, Manolo Martínez wrote:
> On 07/20/12 at 03:27pm, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> > think the reason why you are having a much more serious issue is that it seems
> > you haven't updated your system in a long time.  So now you're running into
> > dealing with two slightly tricky upgrades (filesystem + glibc) at the same time.
>
> I've had no problems with filesystem, /lib -> /usr/lib or, today, grub
> -> grub2. I have at best a tenuous grasp of the issues involved in these
> three changes, so I can only consider myself very lucky that I'm not in the
> quandary others seem to be.
>
> I know, though, of enthusiastic archers who have resented the
> problems that have resulted from some of these changes, and feel less
> enthusiastic about archlinux now. I guess there is an inherent tension
> between the rolling-distro concept and KISS: if you want an up-to-date
> system you are bound to change things that work (which is hardly KISS).
>
> I was wondering if the following could be useful to minimize the impact
> of these, more trepidant pacman -Syu's: archlinux could publish a
> roadmap of user-intervention upgrades well in advance: we will do this
> in Q1, that in Q2, and that other thing in Q3. This way users could, for
> example, plan their upgrades so as not to have to deal with two such
> problematic migrations at the same time.
>
> It would also be nice to know a bit more of the rationale behind the
> moves. I'm sure that they are all for the best, and I trust arch
> decision-makers (and one can find out more about the changes by reading
> blogs and forum discussions), but still it'd be good to have a small FAQ posted to
> arch-general before each of the biggish moves.
>
> Manolo

All of those changes were discussed by the devs on arch-dev-public

filesystem ->
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-June/023014.html

grub ->
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-June/023147.html

/lib -> usr/lib ->
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-March/022625.html

There are also discussions there about what will happen and when stuff
breaks like the pacman bug when usr lib was in testing, most of that
happens that