[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

fredbezies fredbezies at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 03:07:04 EDT 2012

2012/7/22 Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net>:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM,  <kingfisher at almus.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I've read all the arguments of Tom and Ionut. Here is my own $0.02 on
>>> it. When I started using archlinux back in end of 2008, the winning
>>> point was this file. A centralized one where you can set up a lot of
>>> single options.
>>>
>>> It is *far* simpler to edit /etc/rc.conf to load daemons or modules
>>> than editing 2 or 3 files.
>>>
>>> "Killing" /etc/rc.conf can't be do so soon. Or you'll see a lot of old
>>> users moving their on other distributions. For me it will be a one way
>>> ticket to fedora. And I *do hate* this idea.
>>>
>>> But developpers must know better than users what is the best for the
>>> distro. Killing /etc/rc.conf ? Why not. But for me, it is more KISS
>>> oriented than /etc/locale.conf, /etc/vconsole.conf,
>>> /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf files.
>>>
>>> As I said, it is my $0.02. Excuse my bad english, I'm no really awake !
>>>
>>> --
>>> Frederic Bezies
>>> fredbezies at gmail.com
>>>
>> That's exactly my thoughts ...
>> *BSD will be next, if rc.conf been deprecated.
>> Sorry for my English too
>>

> I complained about this switch. I tried systemd some time ago and had
> problems. It took me about 30 minutes of reading and editing to get my
> system booted and working properly. I'm amazed and if I can do it that
> quickly anyone can.

I will be too. I'm testing fedora in a virtualbox session, and besides
some software not being truly "bleeding edge". This version of
simplicity is simply a way to make a lot of users - and some old ones
- going to swich on others distros. Which could be very very bad.

I really love Archlinux. It is my home distribution for nearly 4
years. I made about an half-dozen people switching to arch. I know
arch is a "geeky" distribution. But making it a "die-hard geeky"
distribution could kill it.

Sorry for being upset and I'm sorry if my words are surprising some people.

--
Frederic Bezies
fredbezies at gmail.com