[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 04:18:50 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 8:07 AM, fredbezies <fredbezies at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/7/22 Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net>:
>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM,  <kingfisher at almus.net> wrote:

I'm worried about all this too. I have an Atom at home, so moving back to
Gentoo is not an option. I have some programs made to be compiled against
dietlibc, which does not support *BSD, so this is not an option either. I took
a look at Slackware, but I'm not enthusiastic about using old packages, and
I was put off by the install method. Yes, Arch's method is the easiest and
cleanest, specially this variant:
	https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fast_Arch_Install_from_existing_Linux_System#Another_method:_Installing_from_an_existing_Linux_with_an_Arch_installation_image

I have many customizations, and a rolling release seems essential to me. So,
what to do?

I *shall not* use UDEV/Poetterix.

I understand the developers' predicament: what should they do when the KISS
principle is in a collision course with upstream trends? I don't have a
solution, but I fear that this course will end up by killing Arch. The rc.conf
problem is just a symptom...

Jorge Almeida