[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jul 22 11:07:26 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 04:17:13PM +0200, Karol Babioch wrote:

> Am 22.07.2012 15:36, schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> > to get rid of all that
> > Poetterix
>
> Once again this is not a technical argument, but a very subjective
> reason with - at least for me - no basis. Its more of a philosophy and
> that's not what this should be about.
>
> If you *really* like an audio stack without PulseAudio (which I would
> consider quite useless on a modern desktop) and an init system based
> upon something as old, "stupid" and slow as SysVinit, then you are free
> to stick with it. Nobody forces you to use PA and/or systemd, and you
> are always free to come up with something better than that. But don't
> try to force your personal agenda against Poettering onto others.

For any serious audio (music production, acoustic research, etc.) the
first thing to get rid of is PA. It maybe great for the typical desktop
user but is quite useless and a pita otherwise.

The reason to go to Arch years ago was very technical. I was building
a system using 5 PCs to drive a total of 320 audio channels. All but
one of those are headless, and everything done on them is via ssh or
remote control protocols. So there is no 'local' login or any concept
of 'session' on those machines. Yet the processes running there (for
normal users, not root) need e.g.access to the audio hardware and other
privileges. So what should I do with a system like (at the time) Fedora
that forces polkit and consolekit on me, together with their stupid
'session' and 'seat' based logic ? Oh, yes all this could probably have
been bypassed or configured, but why should I have parallel security
systems anyway. So dump it, and find a distro without that madness.

Of course pk and ck have nothing to do with L.P., but they are part off
the same movement as Poetterix. If I'd want a system like those people
are dreaming I'd buy a MAC. But I prefer one without a zillion daemons
trying to outsmart me and making any secure, static system configuration
near impossible.

> Maybe this is what it is really about: These changes come - more or less
> - from Poettering and there is quite a bunch of people who for whatever
> reasons don't like that idea.

I've no personal gripes with Lennart. I had the pleasure to meet him
and he's quite a nice person. I just don't like the way some people
are trying to 'improve' Unix or redefine Linux.

Ciao,

--
FA