[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 11:41:07 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 22.07.2012 15:36, schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
>> to get rid of all that
>> Poetterix
>
> Once again this is not a technical argument, but a very subjective
> reason with - at least for me - no basis. Its more of a philosophy and
> that's not what this should be about.

Sure, it is called "Unix philosophy", for what the word "philosophy" is worth.
No one says it is the best possible one, but it has shown its worth (I'm sure
the same could be said about Mr. Poettering's achievements, but I wouldn't
know). Everyone is entitled to have a different one and implement it. No need
to start from scratch, they can fork linux. I already suggested a very
descriptive name for their new OS. But we end-users of Linux have a reasonable
expectation that by using Linux we use a OS that
--is Unix-like
--is under the user's control and not the other way around

> If you *really* like an audio stack without PulseAudio (which I would
> consider quite useless on a modern desktop) and an init system based
> upon something as old, "stupid" and slow as SysVinit, then you are free
> to stick with it. Nobody forces you to use PA and/or systemd, and you
> are always free to come up with something better than that. But don't
> try to force your personal agenda against Poettering onto others.

Wrong, they are going to ram systemd down our throats. Believe you me. And why
is the onus always on the end-user? *There is* something better, namely the
BSD init system and the SysVinit init system. Is SysVinit stupid? By all
means, produce something better if you feel you're better that the author(s)
of SysVinit. Is SysVinit slow? Maybe lots of bash processes are slowing it
down? There are alternatives that don't require a change of init system (for
example, http://www.skarnet.org/software/execline/index.html). Should a
service be supervised? We don't need systemd (nor launchd, for that matter) to
tell us that:
	http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html
	http://smarden.org/runit/
	http://b0llix.net/perp/
	http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6/
Do you *really* have to use a different init system? runit and s6 do that.
What they won't do is to replace other unrelated programs like *chron, and for
a good reason: they are made by Unix people.

> Maybe this is what it is really about: These changes come - more or less
> - from Poettering and there is quite a bunch of people who for whatever
> reasons don't like that idea.

Maybe there is a reason for that? Like, I don't know, maybe a bunch of people
find advantageous to run a unix-like system?

 Best regards,

Jorge Almeida