[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Sun Jul 22 14:35:20 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Damjan <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Most of us who work on initscriptst agree that systemd is superior and
>>> that most people will move to it one day. However, we are trying very
>>

>> That's what worries me, that you sincerelly find it superior. I don't
>> doubt
>> your good intentions.
>

> I've worked as a Linux sys-admin for 12 years now, and I've always found
> sysvinit and the bunch of shell scripts, hard to manage and lacking in basic
> features.
>
> What systemd provides now is total knowledge of the state and origin of your
> processes. That wasn't possible with the sysvinit scheme. It's a great help
> to anyone working wit Linux professionally.
>
> The declarative unit files are also a step in the right direction IMHO,
> since you can't break them, and with it the whole boot process.
>
> BUT, this thread was not about systemd. This was about splitting
> /etc/rc.conf in Arch, and unifying at least part of the system config with
> other distros. Debian, Fedora and OpenSuse will use the same files now - and
> I think it's great that we see some consolidation. It doesn't make much
> sense to have 100 schemes for configuring these basic stuff.
>
> Also, by splitting it in different files you make it more robust. You don't
> want to bork your network setup just because you were editing your locale
> and forgot to close a quote.

... every paragraph in Damjan's message makes a well-reasoned and
insightful point -- one would be wise to heed the experience shared
now, elsewhere in this thread, and on the net at large.

this "Poetterix Movement" jeering and related nonsense only weakens
already decadent arguments for maintaining the status quo.

lets knock it up a notch, ok? BAM!

--

C Anthony