[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Martin Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Mon Jul 23 22:04:24 EDT 2012

On 22 July 2012 13:41, Damjan <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, by splitting it in different files you make it more robust. You
> don't want to bork your network setup just because you were editing your
> locale and forgot to close a quote.

@Damjan: this isn't completely true because if the config file parser is
well coded it just can ignore the faulty locale line while correctly
parsing everything else, that's what I do when I need to parse a file: if a
line has a typo or a value is out of range or plain wrong I make the parser
show a warning message and keep parsing the config file :)

My 2 cents regarding rc.conf (as a 2-years Arch fan):
Seems I've been out of sync lately because I was totally unaware about this
grand change.
First of all I want to say I'm admitedly in love with Arch (as strange as
it sounds, being in love with software): for a lazy guy like me Arch is
both easy and simple, in fact easier and simpler than any other GNU/Linux
distro out there (may be with the only exception of Slackware).
It has a clean file layout, the packaging system is one of the best out
there -if not the best-  and it's easy to see The Arch Way is implemented
system wide.
One of the great things I specially love about Arch is /etc/rc.conf and
it's whole sysconfig scheme: it's plain *awesome* to have init
configuration centralized in one slim file instead scattered through
god-may-know where; /etc/rc.conf is almost *perfect* specially if I compare
it with SysV Init cumbersome scheme, with plenty of directories and S and K
files, come on, that really sucks.
But as things change and as systemd is becoming a de-facto on GNU/Linux
distros, and there's nothing that can be done to keep the awesome rc.conf
from being splitted, I vote for EMBRACE THE CHANGE AS SOON AS WE CAN.
If rc.conf has it's days counted, then don't delay what must be done: Arch
is bleeding edge so let's honour it. While I don't like the idea of losing
rc.conf and I know I will miss the 'good old days' I don't want to delay a
change I know it's unavoidable :'(

Since I first met Arch Linux and since I first read The Arch Way I
instantly knew this was the distro I was looking for since so much time, it
was already packed with nothing else than awesomeness. Because that I
strongly believe devs and TUs and everyone else who contribute to the
distro development knows what's the best way to keep up with the The Arch
Way and to keep Arch Linux a simple, minimalist, clean, easy and
lightweight GNU/Linux distribution.

Cheers =)

--
-msx