[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Sun Jul 22 15:52:49 EDT 2012

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 13:36:59 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 03:02:05PM +0200, Heiko Baums wrote:
> > Am Sun, 22 Jul 2012 12:43:39 +0000
> > schrieb Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>:
> >
> > > Fair enough, but for this sort of thing, who is 'upstream' ?
> >
> > In this case the super-ingenious Lennart Poettering, I guess.
>
> I switched to Arch some years ago to get rid of all that
> Poetterix stuff. It's become near impossible on most distros.
> If Arch goes the same way, I'll have to look for something else.
>
> Ciao,

I wonder why everyone thinks that Archlinux is about a single config file...
It is the same myth as "Arch is faster than distro XYZ" or the "simple BSD
init".

Arch is about hackability and upstream compliance. AFAICT this is not going
away. Besides, archlinux users should be experienced enough to manage 5 config
files instead of 1. So if there is a single technical argument to use systemd
syntax standard, it should overweigh 10 aesthetic predespositions.

Those who have to manage lots of servers and object to the change because of
stability arguments, shot themselves in the foot long time ago by merely
installing arch...

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D